About The Village
We are a work in progress and, thankfully, yet to find anyone among us who has it all together! This might appear to be a worrying thing, given that many of us have been working at being followers of Jesus all our lives, but it is also the hope we hold, that we are growing to understand that as God makes room for us, so there is plenty of space for others (wherever they find themselves on the road) to come alongside and be a part of our community.
We try to be friendly, welcoming, non-judgemental, hospitable, kind, generous, accommodating, flexible, interested, interesting, gracious, thoughtful, faithful, spiritual (rather than religious!), innovative, honouring, friendly, humorous, natural, attentive, just, and quite a bit more… all with the hope that we are reflecting the way that we understand how God is among us in Jesus Christ.
One of the things that matters to us is that we play a part in the well-being of our communities including offering some practical support alongside people for whom life isn’t easy. Through our various groups and partnerships, we enable the community to gather and contribute to the well-being of one another. It is in that sense that we have named ourselves The Village; that we can all be well together – all playing a part.
We try to be multi-dimensional in how we share in community life. We are involved in providing well-being activities such as a clothing shop, supporting the well-being initiatives at Burnside Primary School, running a kids club, and foot clinic; various partnerships with not-for-profit community groups; growing a creative arts centre, a monthly market (that receives donated household items and sells them for very modest prices), hosting pre-school music classes, exercise groups, etc. All kinds of people volunteer in these activities according to their energy levels and abilities. We try to positive and welcoming and fun-loving in all we do.
We are also a faith-community within the Presbyterian tribe of churches. We provide weekly opportunities for prayer and worship and thoughtful reflections on faith and life, without coercion or manipulation. We are a ‘come as you’ are church where most people know most people by name, and nobody takes themselves overly seriously!
Below you can see our Vision, Purpose and Mission. We have these knowing that they are always a work in progress.
We believe and Value
- God is loving, forgiving, and living.
- God is three-in-one (trinity) – diverse yet one – and as such the source of life, freedom and goodness.
- God has a name and a face in Jesus.
- God’s perspective is much bigger than ours.
- That our worship and our acts of service bear witness to the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.
- We are called to value others, be open to others and accept others.
- Hospitality is central to how God is with us, therefore this is how we are to be with ourselves and others.
- Non-coercive invitations to faith exploration.
- That relationship comes first.
- That we need to be adaptable and flexible.
- We are called to and live with the care of our environment.
- Seeking the wellbeing of the city.
Therefore, as a way to bring all these together, we will work to realise our vision:
to be an open, vibrant, multifaceted, God-filled presence in our communities…
Our enduring and overarching sense of purpose is:
To take notice of, point towards, and engage people with the goodness, grace and love of God, through Jesus, animated by the Spirit.
Our current long term goals
By June 2031 we will have:
- A deeply embedded clear understanding of our Vision in the areas of Faith life, Community and Loving Service within our various contexts.
- A strong and mature group of homegrown leaders who are continuously developing our understanding across all areas of Faith, Community and Loving Service.
- Significant & varied mission presences in our communities which have visible positive impact both materially and spiritually on those who interact with them.