End of July – Combined Service and Winter Feast
A reminder to please join us for bagels and coffee at 10am before our service at 10.30am and stay for the Winter feast after service on 30th July. “Bring a plate’ details to come.
‘Bryndwr Banter’ Volunteers needed: The community board has issued a Newsletter for the Bryndwr Community and they need our help to get it out there. We have been assigned an area but will need several volunteers to help distribute. We would like to have them delivered ASAP so if you want to join in, please contact the Bryndwr office for more details.
Women’s Fellowship Meeting: We are meeting Friday 28 July at the home of Hannie from 2 p.m. Everyone is most welcome. Please ring if you have any questions and bring a small plate of something delicious to share.
Kids Club is on each Monday 3-5pm. If you have children or grandchildren who want to join the Kid’s Club, you can get a registration form from the office, or contact Kate B or Dan.
We are looking for adult leaders to help volunteer, a flexible arrangement is fine. We are in need of someone to run the kitchen in July and August – (or different people on a roster during that time).
(Thank you very much to those who donated Lego – we now have a good amount for the children to enjoy)
2023 Annual Reports: An email request has been sent to those responsible for our different groups, asking for annual reports to be submitted to Tracey at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 31 July. Thank you.
Our Sunday Sermon is usually posted to the Village Church website on a Monday. If you can’t be at Church on a Sunday and would like to read the Sermon you’ll find it under the ‘Reflections’ heading – go to www.villagechurch.nz
The Village Presbyterian Church Parish Council July Update
Devotions: Dan’s reflection came from a passage from the Alpine Presbytery Culture and Strategic Framework and from Micah 6:8, Matthew 6:33 and Revelation 21: 3-5. We were asked to consider two questions: What are we hoping for in our future with God and What injustice do we sense God is inviting us to respond to in our communities?
- being alongside people wherever they are at,
- injustice of disconnection – we can connect and bear witness to God’s love,
- living in a way that sets an example of how communities can live
- substandard housing which is making children sick – what can be done about this?
- ecological injustice – how can we be a voice for the environment?
Finance Report: – Judith presented her monthly report and noted the following key points:
- In May we had our properties revalued. The value for both the land and the building has increased.
- CATAS salary system: Judith will communicate with them about transferring the wage payment system.
- Insurance schedules have been received and we await the accounts for these.
- Truman Road: The tenants are expected to move in at the beginning of August.
- Judith is working on the year-end accounts. We now need to depreciate the buildings at 2% of the QV value, which will have a negative impact on our accounts.
- A request for finance to cover bathroom alterations at Truman Road has gone to the Church Property Trustees.
Other Circulated Reports:
- Community Centre
- Building report
- StARR report
Matters Arising from Circulated Reports:
STaRR (St Andrews at Rangi Ruru): Following a discussion about the future of services at STaRR, it was recommended that we look towards terminating the STaRR MOU at June 2024. The appropriate process for this to proceed will be instigated.
Proposed drop in centre: The application seeking funding to support this project is proceeding.
Monday Preschool Music at Bryndwr: It was noted that this programme is finishing after 21 years.
Redwood: Those attending Redwood here shared morning tea and memories on Sunday 16 July. Planning for the final service will commence shortly. We are investigating the possibility of increasing the number of Pop-Ins visitors to cover the Redwood members.
- A commissioner for General Assembly (27 Sep – 1 Oct in Auckland): Several options for sending a commissioner were discussed.
- Voting for the Moderator: The candidates were discussed and ranked in preferential order.
- Vacant positions update: Jane A. will be our Privacy Officer, Bryan W. will cover the Child Protection Officer’s role.
- AGM: A tentative date is set for 10th September 2023, following the morning service at Bryndwr.
Roster Reminder for Sun 30 July
Setup: Andrew & Judith.
Welcoming: Janice & Ian, Sharon.
Reading: Jenny & Trevor.
Counting: Christine M, Andrew.
Morning Tea: Hannie & Frik, Judith.
Grounds at Bryndwr: Liam.
|Sun 23||10.00am||Worship Service||Bryndwr|
|10.00am||St Andrew’s at Rangi Ruru||Rangi Ruru|
|5.30pm||Evening Circle, Brookside Tce.||Ph Catherine|
|Mon 24||9.30am||Music Moments||Papanui|
|10.30am||Painting Group in the Creative Nest||Papanui|
|1.30pm||Bible Study & Prayer Group||Redwood|
|Tue 25||10.00am||Fly-Bys Visiting||Bryndwr|
|Thurs 27||8.00am||Village Prayers in the Chapel||Bryndwr|
|11.30am||Midweek Worship Service, followed by lunch||Papanui|
|Fri 28||1.15pm||Indoor Bowls||Papanui|
|Sat 29||9.30am||Clothing Shop||Bryndwr|
|Sun 30||10.00am||Bagels and a drink||Bryndwr|
|10.30am||Combined Village Worship Service||Bryndwr|
|Lunch||‘Winter Feast’ after the Worship Service||Bryndwr|